南方愛武小站 Southern Site Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
南方愛武小站 Southern Site Inn

研討武術劍術 We explore Chinese martial arts, IMA and Swordmanship http://user3.jabry.com/southsite/index.htm

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Forms How many

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shifu

shifu

文章數 : 69
注冊日期 : 2009-11-08

Forms How many Empty
PostSubject: Forms How many   Forms How many EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Please, your thoughts on forms (Quantao/Taolu).

How many forms is enough?

Should the focus be less forms deeper understanding?

Is there any historical basis for this? If so, please share.
Back to top Go down
kwong
Admin
kwong

文章數 : 1510
注冊日期 : 2009-01-25

Forms How many Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forms How many   Forms How many EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:17 am

How many forms is enough?
In my opinion, how many forms is enough is depend on what is your goal. It is depend on your training system and purpose. If you do Kungfu form for fun and performance purpose, you will learn more form as many as possible.

Should the focus be less forms deeper understanding? Is there any historical basis for this? If so, please share.
It is no doubt that we should understand deeper in one form rather than others. Most of the Martial arts Stories told us that famous martial artists always good at one of the special technqiue.

For Example, Li Shu Wen , The god of Spear, is famous with his spear skills. He practiced his spear skills millions times and understand the application of it.

In Bagua, Liu Fengchun is famous in his Single palm change. It is only a few steps of movement.

These Stories old us that this isn't how good of their arts, this's how they understand the technique.

Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/kwongy64
chowfarn

chowfarn

文章數 : 140
注冊日期 : 2010-07-31

Forms How many Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forms How many   Forms How many EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 11:50 pm

When practicing by oneself - forms are good.
If practicing your style with a group - partnered forms, drills & sparring is much better.
There is just so many benefits working with a live responsive partner.

These days I rarely get to practice my style with a partner.
So forms dominate my learning & practice time. These would be 80% standard movements (styles set forms) & 20% free form/no set pattern/shadow boxing.
Finally correct 'form' by continuous drilling of single movements.
Back to top Go down
Lang

文章數 : 13
注冊日期 : 2011-12-26
來自 : Tony Mundine 拳击馆

Forms How many Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forms How many   Forms How many EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:25 am

I think its more goal oriented, if you are after performance or something less intense yet beneficial from martial arts, probably forms would be what you are after.

If you are after the combative aspect, certainly forms would be less of your concern. But instead, you will be focus on combat related attributes, your aerobic and anaerobic endurance, reflex, mental toughness, speed, explosiveness, partner drills, all kinds of sparring, ability to take blows and strategy formations.

There are just two distinctly different goals, one might want a mix of both, with different propotions, I have a friend would go to his kungfu class and learn drills and forms, then come and sparred with a group of friends. These two options arent better than one another, just different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forms How many Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forms How many   Forms How many Empty

Back to top Go down

Forms How many
Page 1 of 1